Millions of people suffer with the exact same thing. They have it in common and are probably not even ware of it. As a matter of fact, they may not even be aware that they are suffering at all. But, it is very common and it is very damaging. It is called clutter!
Have you heard of it? Do you suffer with it yourself? I used to. I was one of those people that had sentimental and emotional attachment to too many things. I also had the habit of holding on to a lot of the “what if” things. You know, the things you have tucked in a drawer, closet, or cabinet because of the, “What if I need this,” thoughts that come every time you think of getting rid of something🙄. What I found is that I had healing to do, cleaning up to do, on the inside, in order to be able to clean up my life on the outside.
Do you find yourself surrounded with too much stuff? I have 5 ways to declutter your home right now! Did you know that clutter is literally damaging to your health? Our brains need organization. Disarray and clutter reduces our cognitive function and even reduces our memory. Now, who has time for that? I mean, with all of the responsibilities that we manage from day to day, why would we have our very own homes, our sanctuaries, the places where we rest and dwell, be the very cause of sickness and stress in our lives? We deserve better for ourselves. And so, we are decluttering!
Now, this may sound like a task. It may sound exciting. However it sounds, have confidence going into it and rest assured, you will not only feel better, you will perform better. One of the first things you will experience is tiredness and euphoria. It is not only the sense of joy and accomplishment from simply finishing something that you begin, but it is the the cleanliness and order that brings calm, peace, and joy. And, it may be a lot of work depending on the size of the clutter, so it may tire you. But, it is worth it!
You do not have to do everything in one day. Rome was not built….you know the saying, right? It takes time to get things done right, but taking time is not the same as procrastinating. Set a timer and give yourself half an hour and see how much you can get done. If you want to do more, set another 30 minute timer and keep going, or increase the time. The point is to start, experience the joy of the cleaning and the calm of de-cluttering, embrace and enjoy the mental clarity and peace, and be encouraged to get and stay organized.
HERE ARE 5 WAYS TO DECLUTTER YOUR HOME RIGHT NOW!
- Go to your kitchen and discard all food storage containers that do not have matching tops and lids. I know I was not the only one. Now, I do it at least once a month, but I once was in a place of opening the cabinets at my own risk. I never knew if something, or everything, would come flying out at me because my cabinets were so stuffed with mix matched food storage containers, water bottles with missing lids or missing straws, and even broken items. But, my mental health was not being cared for, and it showed in many areas of my life. Get rid of pots that do not have lids and lids that do not have pots, too.
- Go through your closet and drawers and anything that you have not worn in the last 60 days, donate it or sell it online. No, it does not have to be a sit down and haul through every single thing moment. But, at the very least, go through your closets and get rid of things that you cannot fit. If you have lost weight or gained weight, grown taller or lost bone mass and shrunk, and can no longer fit an item, no worrying about the day when you may fit into the item again. When you get to that target weight or height,😉 go shopping. Until then, purge the clutter and get rid of anything that cannot serve you right now.
- Socks are usually a night mare to keep up with. Get rid of the ones that do not have matches. Yes, there actually is a sock monster that visits homes randomly throughout the night, and eats socks straight out the dirty hamper, washing machine, or dryer, depending on his mood. And so it does not matter what you do, the socks will never come back. They are gone. Stop looking. He has them. One way to keep socks together is to band them together immediately after taking them off. Do not wait until you wash and dry them. When the matching pair come off your feet, bundle them. You see, the sock monster has this strange disorder where he cannot eat in pairs.
- Take a look in your bathroom cabinets. Let’s start by removing anything that does not serve the purpose of that room. Save that space for bathroom items only, things that serve the bathroom’s purpose. Extra tissue perhaps, feminine products, bathroom cleaning supplies, toiletries, and make sure to keep them all organized in their own bins, drawers, spaces, or baskets.
- Last but not least, the drawer dive. This is where we go through every single drawer in the house. But you have to set a timer. Set it for 20 minutes and go through every drawer as fast as you can. Get rid of trash, things that do not serve the purpose of that room, anything expired, or simply not being used, and after 20 minutes, take a break. Take inventory of what is left and set another 20 minute timer and do it all again. The point of this is to move quickly and get as much done as you can Then, celebrate the cleanliness and tidiness of your space and your accomplishments!
You deserve it!
Leave me a comment and let me know if you will try any of these tips!